Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"I Don't Wanna Grow Up"

"Growing up is such a barbarous business, full of inconvenience... and pimples."
-Captain Hook

I've been struggling lately with how solemn my life has become.  This is not to say that I've suddenly lost all joy in life, but merely to say that I've realized the focus of my conversations has drifted from less trivial things to more serious subjects.  While I appreciate and glean knowledge from some of these conversations, many of them leave me wanting a flippant carefree conversation that does nothing to enhance my cerebral capacity. 

Maybe this needs a deeper explanation.  The last few months have brought many changes in my/our lives.  Marriage, new jobs, bills, pets and planning for the future are not things I am used to.  Instead of discussing the fabulous adventures we're going to take after college, Shaun and I spend the evenings creating budgets and discussing home loans.  Is this our new adventure? 

Each stage of life is exciting, but this seems much too grown up for me.  My mind is still whirling with Peter Pan like adventures of pirates, high sea battles, and mermaids.  I dream of Thailand, China, Australia, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinea.  Nothing but a backpack strapped to my back exploring caves and biking from place to place.  When our conversations do drift to these things we are always more tentative then we were in college.  Plans are laid out, funds considered, timelines created, and before you know it the adventure is almost gone.  Is this because we’re growing up?  Or because we’re being responsible?

I wish I could escape to a place like Neverland sometimes.  Where responsibilities don’t exist.  And adventure reigns supreme.  How many of you dream of that too? 

Peter: “Forget them, Wendy. Forget them all. Come with me where you'll never, never have to worry about grown up things again.”
Wendy: “Never is an awfully long time.”




No comments:

Post a Comment